Barton W. Palmer, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychiatry
3350 La Jolla Villa Drive
San Diego, CA 92161
T: (858) 642-3907
F: (858) 552-7404
Palmer received his PhD in Clinical Psychology from the University of Illinois at Chicago in 1992, and completed a clinical-research fellowship in neuropsychology at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Neuropsychiatric Institute and Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in 1992 through 1994. He subsequently completed an additional research fellowship in geriatric psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego, prior to joining the UCSD faculty in 1997.
Dr. Palmer’s primary research interests include neuropsychological aspects of late-life schizophrenia and other psychiatric conditions, as well as the impact of these deficits on patients' everyday functioning (including their capacity to consent to treatment and research participation). He currently has several ongoing studies to examine patients’ decision making capacity. He also has an ongoing interest in general issues of neuropsychological assessment.
Dr. Palmer is a licensed clinical psychologist with specific interest/expertise in neuropsychological/cognitive assessment.
- Palmer, B. W., and Jeste, D. V. (2006). Relationship of individual cognitive abilities to specific components of decisional capacity among middle-aged and older patients with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 32(1), 98-106.
- Palmer, B. W., and Savla, G. N. (2007). The association of specific neuropsychological deficits with capacity to consent to research or treatment. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 13, 1047-1059.
- Palmer, B.W., Dunn, L. B., Depp, C. A., Eyler, L. T., and Jeste, D. V. (2007) Decisional capacity to consent to research among patients with bipolar disorder: comparison with schizophrenia patients and healthy subjects. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 68, 689-696.
- Palmer, B. W., Cassidy, E. L., Dunn, L. B., Spira, A. P., and Sheikh, J. I. (2008). Effective use of consent forms and interactive questions in the consent process. IRB: Ethics & Human Research, 30(2), 8-12.
- Palmer, B. W., and Dawes, S. E. Cognitive aging: From basic skills to scripts and schemata. (in press). Chapter to appear in D. V. Jeste & C. D. Depp (Eds.). Handbook of Successful Cognitive and Emotional Aging. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Palmer, B.W., and Savla, G. N. (in press). Geriatric Psychiatry: neuropsychological evaluation. Chapter to appear in B. J.Sadock, V. A. Sadock, & P. Ruiz (Eds). The Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry (9th Edition). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.