Carla Marie Nappi, Ph.D., H.S.
Associate Clinical Professor
VA San Diego Medical Center
3350 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92161 MC 116B
Dr. Nappi received her B.A. in Psychology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and her MS and PhD in Clinical Psychology from Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science. She completed her clinical psychology predoctoral internship at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine/VA San Diego Healthcare System (VASDHS) APA-approved program and a postdoctoral fellowship in evidence-based psychotherapy for mood disorders and suicidality at the VASDHS. Dr. Nappi is currently H.S. Associate Clinical Professor in UCSD's Department of Psychiatry and staff psychologist at VASDHS.
Dr. Nappi's latest area of research focuses primarily upon outcome studies related to the treatment of posttraumatic sleep difficulties. She is Co-Investigator on a federally-funded clinical trial of combined behavioral interventions for PTSD and sleep disturbance. She is also interested in program development as a means of enhancing and disseminating evidence-based mental health services for military Veterans and is currently conducting two clinical effectiveness studies at the VASDHS.
Dr. Nappi is the Program Director of the Mood Disorders Psychotherapy Program and Associate Program Director of the Behavioral Sleep Medicine Program at the VASDHS. Her clinical interests include treatment of mood disorders, suicidality, and posttraumatic sleep difficulties with cognitive behavioral interventions. Dr. Nappi integrates acceptance and mindfulness approaches in her clinical work and she also coordinates the VASDHS's Dialectical Behavior Therapy program. Dr. Nappi is a primary supervisor for trainees from the UCSD/SDSU Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, UCSD/VASDHS’s psychology internship, and VASDHS’s Evidence-Based Psychotherapy Fellowship.
- Nappi, C. M., Drummond, S.P.A., & Hall, J.M.H. (2011). Treating nightmares and insomnia in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A review of current evidence. Neuropharmacology, DOI:10.1016/j.neuropharm.2011.02.029.
- Kapungu, C., Nappi, C. M., Thakral, C., Miller, S.A., Devlin, C., McBride, C., Hasselquist, E., Coleman, G.,Drozd, D., Barve, C., Donenberg, G., DiClemente, R., Brown, L., & Project S.T.Y.L.E. Study Group (2011). Recruiting and retaining high-risk adolescents into family-based HIV prevention intervention research. Journal of Child and Family Studies, DOI: 10.1007/s10826-011-9510-z.
- Nappi, C. M., Drummond, S. P. A., Thorp, S. R., & McQuaid, J. (2010). Effectiveness of Imagery Rehearsal Therapy for the treatment of combat-related nightmares in Veterans. Behavior Therapy, 41, 237-44.
- Nappi, C. M., Thakral, C., Kapungu, C., Donenberg, G. R., DiClemente, R., Brown, L., & Project S.T.Y.L.E. (2009). Parental monitoring as a moderator of the effect of family sexual communication on sexual risk behavior among adolescents in psychiatric care. AIDS and Behavior, 13, 1012-1020.
- Nappi, C. M., McBride, C. K., & Donenberg, G. R. (2007). HIV/AIDS Communication among adolescents in psychiatric care and their parents. Journal of Family Psychology, 21, 637-644.