Colin A. Depp, Ph.D.
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, MC: CA 92037-0603C
T: (858) 822-4251
F: (858) 534-5475
Colin A. Depp, PhD is an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the School of Medicine of the University of California, San Diego (UCSD). He is a Staff Psychologist in the VA San Diego providing clinical services, training, and research functions in the ASPIRE Center, a residential treatment program for homeless returning Veterans. Dr. Depp is also the Deputy Director of the Education and Training Division of UC San Diego’s Clinical and Translational Research Institute and he is a faculty member at UCSD’s Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging. Dr. Depp received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Michigan and his doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of Louisville. He then completed a pre-doctoral internship at the Palo Alto Veteran’s Administration and a National Research Service Award post-doctoral fellowship in the Division of Geriatric Psychiatry at UCSD.
Dr. Depp has a strong interest in aging and bipolar disorder, particularly in the development of psychosocial interventions that can augment pharmacological treatment. He is the PI of a NIMH-funded Career Development Award (K23) centered on the development of interventions to enhance treatment engagement and adherence in this population. Dr. Depp is also active in ongoing research at the Stein Institute for Research on Aging at UCSD, focusing on the behavioral and biological determinants of successful aging.
Dr. Depp is a clinical psychologist specializing in augmentative psychosocial interventions for bipolar disorder and behavioral interventions to enhance treatment engagement and adherence. Additional clinical interests include self-management techniques for older adults with chronic mental illnesses, development and evaluation of peer-support interventions, and behavioral interventions for dementia family caregivers.
- Depp, C.A. & Jeste, D.V. (2004). Bipolar disorder in older adults: A critical review. Bipolar Disorders, 6, 343-367.
- Depp, C.A., Lindamer, L.A., Folsom, D.P., Gilmer, T., Hough, R.L., Garcia, P., Jeste, D.V. (2005). Differences in clinical features and mental health service use in bipolar disorder across the life span. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry,13 (4):290-8.
- Depp, C.A. & Jeste, D.V. The definition and predictors of successful aging: A comprehensive literature review. (2006). American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 14 (1): 6-20.
- Depp, C.A., Davis, C.E., Mittal, D., Patterson, T.L., Jeste, D.V. The health-related quality of life and functioning of middle-aged and older adults with bipolar disorder (2006). Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 67 (2): 215-221.
- Depp, C.A., Patterson, T.L., Lebowitz, B.D., Lacro, J.P., & Jeste, D.V. (In Press). Medication adherence skills training for bipolar disorder: Development and Pilot Study. Bipolar Disorders