Gregory G. Brown, Ph.D.
3350 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92161-116A
T: (858) 642-3166
In 1977 Dr. Brown received a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Wayne State University. He was an Attending Staff Psychologist in the Neuropsychology Division at Henry Ford Hospital from 1977 to 1994. In 1994 he became Staff Psychologist at The New York Hospital. Dr. Brown is currently Director of the NeuroImaging and Behavioral Analysis Laboratory at UCSD and Co-Director of the VA VISN 22 MIRECC’s Imaging Unit. He is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association and an ABPP/ABCN Diplomate in Clinical Neuropsychology.
Dr. Brown’s research uses computational modeling and brain imaging to investigate neuropsychiatric disorders. His laboratory’s studies employ functional, structural, and metabolic brain imaging to investigate the etiology and clinical course of neurological and neuropsychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia, HIV infection and drug abuse. The laboratory’s translational imaging projects include imaging studies of animal models of anxiety disorders, HIV infection, methamphetamine abuse, and psychosis, as well as studies of patients with brain disorders. The laboratory’s computational modeling utilizes parametric cognitive models to analyze neurobehavioral impairments in patient populations. Combining mathematical models of cognition with item response theory is a special emphasis of the computational work
Dr. Brown makes use of neuropsychological tests to assess neurobehavioral functioning in patients at risk for neurological or psychological disorders.
- McKenna BS, Brown GG, Drummond SP, Turner TH, Mano QR. Linking mathematical modeling with human neuroimaging to segregate verbal working memory maintenance processes from stimulus encoding. Neuropsychology. 2013 Mar;27(2):243-55.
- Brown GG, Turner TH, Mano QR, Bolden K, Thomas ML. Experimental manipulation of working memory model parameters: an exercise in construct validity. Psychol Assess. 2013 Sep;25(3):844-58.
- Thomas ML, Brown GG, Thompson WK, Voyvodic J, Greve DN, Turner JA, Mathalon DH, Ford J, Wible CG, Potkin SG; FBIRN. An application of item response theory to fMRI data: prospects and pitfalls. Psychiatry Res. 2013 Jun 30;212(3):167-74.
- Brown GG, McCarthy G, Bischoff-Grethe A, Ozyurt B, Greve D, Potkin SG, Turner JA, Notestine R, Calhoun VD, Ford JM, Mathalon D, Manoach DS, Gadde S, Glover GH, Wible CG, Belger A, Gollub RL, Lauriello J, O'Leary D, Lim KO. Brain-performance correlates of working memory retrieval in schizophrenia: a cognitive modeling approach. Schizophr Bull. 2009 Jan;35(1):32-46.
- Brown GG, Lohr J, Notestine R, Turner T, Gamst A, Eyler LT. Performance of schizophrenia and bipolar patients on verbal and figural working memory tasks. J Abnorm Psychol. 2007 Nov;116(4):741-53.