T: (858) 552-8585 x2872
Irina Strigo uses psychophysical and brain imaging approaches to study experimental pain perception in various psychiatric disorders, such as Major Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Eating Disorders, Traumatic Brain Injury, and chronic pain. The long-term goal of this research is to understand the mechanisms leading to co-morbidities between chronic pain and psychiatric conditions. Her research has been funded by the National Alliance for Research in Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD), National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Not available at this time.
- Strigo IA, GH Duncan, M Boivin, and MC Bushnell (2003) Differentiation of visceral and cutaneous pain in human brain. Journal Of Neurophysiology 8: 3294-303.
- Simmons, AN, Strigo, IA, Matthews, SC, Paulus, MP, Stein, MB (2006). Anticipation of aversive visual stimuli is associated with increased insula activation in anxiety-prone subjects. Biological Psychiatry 60(4):402-9.
- Strigo IA, Simmons AN, Matthews SC, Craig AD, Paulus MP (2008). Major Depressive Disorder is associated with altered functional brain response during anticipation and processing of heat pain. Archives of General Psychiatry 65(11):1275-84
- Strigo IA, Simmons AN, Matthews SC, Craig AD, Paulus MP (2008). Increased affective bias during graded heat stimulation in young depressed adults: evidence of “emotional allodynia. Psychosomatic Medicine 70(3):338-44.
- Simmons, AN, Strigo IA, Matthews, SC, Paulus, MP, Stein, MB (2009). Initial evidence of a failure to activate right anterior insula during affective set shifting in posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychosomatic Medicine 71(4):373-7
- Strigo, IA, Matthews, SC, Simmons, AN (2010). Right anterior insula hypoactivity during anticipation of homeostatic shifts in Major Depressive Disorder. Psychosomatic Medicine 72(3):316-23.
- Rabinovich MI, Muezzinoglu MK, Strigo IA, Bystritsky A (2010). Dynamical principles of emotion-cognition interaction: mathematical images of mental disorders. PLoS ONE 5(9):e12547
- Strigo IA, Simmons AN, Matthews SC, Grimes E, Allard C, Reinhardt LE, Paulus MP, Stein MB (2010). Neural correlates of altered pain response in women with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) following intimate partner violence. Biological Psychiatry. 68(5):442-50
- Strigo IA, Simmons AN, Matthews SC, Craig AD (2010). The relationship between amygdala activation and passive exposure time to an aversive cue during a continuous performance task. PLoS ONE5(11):e15093
- Strigo IAA, Matthews SC, Simmons AN, Oberndorfer T, Klabunde M, Reinhardt LE and Kaye WH (2013). Altered insula activation during pain anticipation in individuals recovered from anorexia nervosa: evidence of interoceptive dysregulation. International Journal of Eating Disorders 46(1):23-33.
- Mutschler I, Ball T, Wankerl J, and Strigo IA (2012). Pain and Emotion: evidence for functional reorganization of the insula in major depression. Neuroscience Letters 520(2):204-9.
- Strigo, IA, Matthews SC, Simmons AN (2013). Decreased frontal regulation during pain anticipation in unmedicated subjects with Major Depressive Disorder. Translational Psychiatry 3:e239.
- Simmons, AN, Norman, SB, Spadoni, AD, & Strigo, IA (2013). Neurosubstrates of remission following Prolonged Exposure therapy in veterans with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics 82(6):382-389.
- Ushinsky A, Reinhardt L., Simmons AN, Strigo IA(2013). Further Evidence of Emotional Allodynia in Unmedicated Young Adults with Major Depressive Disorder. PLoS ONE 8(11):e80507
- Strigo IA, Spadoni AD, Lohr J, Simmons AN (2014). Too hard to control: Compromised pain anticipation and modulation in mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Translational Psychiatry 4:e340