Laurie A. Lindamer, Ph.D.
H.S. Clinical Professor
3350 La Jolla Villa Drive
San Diego, CA 92161-116A
T: (858) 552-8585, ext 3870
F: (858) 552-7404
Dr. Lindamer received her Ph.D. in clinical psychology in 1994 from Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. She completed an APA-approved internship at UCSD/VASDHS, specializing in neuropsychology, and then trained as a post-doctoral research fellow in Geriatric Psychiatry at UCSD. She is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Director of the Education and Dissemination Unit of the VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health (CESAMH), and Director of the CESAMH Psychology Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. Her research interests include the development and testing of psychosocial interventions to improve health in persons with psychiatric disorders, as well as examining factors related to the implementation of these interventions.
Dr. Lindamer’s research interests have been directed at designing and testing psychosocial interventions for health behaviors for persons with serious mental illness. In addition, she has also been actively involved in the development of academic community partnerships to promote the implementation of evidence-based psychosocial interventions both in the VA and in the community.
Clinical and Teaching Focus
Dr. Lindamer is a licensed psychologist in California and serves as a study clinician on several grants. She serves as the Director of the Psychology CESAMH Clinical Research Fellowship. She advises medical students and residents, undergraduates, graduate students and post-doctoral fellows both the VASDHS and UCSD in clinical research.
- Lindamer, L. A., Buse, D. C., Auslander, L. A., Unutzer, J., Bartels, S. J., Jeste, D.V. (2003). A comparison of gynecological variables and service use among older women with and without schizophrenia. Psychiatric Services, 4 (6); 902-904.
- Lindamer, L.A., Bailey, A., Hawthorne, W., Folsom, D.P., Gilmer, T.P., Garcia, P., Hough, R., and Jeste, D.V. (2003) Gender differences in characteristics and service use of public mental health patients with schizophrenia. Psychiatric Services, 54 (10); 1407-1409.
- Jin, H, Folsom, DP, Lindamer, LA, Bailey, A., Hawthorne, W, Garcia, P, and Jeste, D.V. (2003) Patterns of Service Use by Age in Patients with Schizophrenia in a Large Public Mental Health System. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 11 (5):525-533.
- Gilmer, T.P., Dolder, C.R., Lacro, J.P., Folsom, D.P., Lindamer, L.A., Garcia, P., and Jeste, D.V (2004) Risk factors for antipsychotic nonadherence and hospitalization among persons with schizophrenia: An analysis of a county wide public mental health system. American Journal of Psychiatry. 161:692-699.
- Folsom, D.P., Hawthorne, W., Lindamer, L.A., Gilmer, T., Bailey, A., Golshan, S., Garcia, P, Unutzer, J., Hough, R., Jeste, D.V. (2005). Homelessness among patients in a large public mental health system: Prevalence, risk factors and utilization of mental health care services among 10,340 patients American Journal of Psychiatry162(2):370-6.
- Depp, C.A., Lindamer, L.A., Folsom, D.P., Gilmer, T., Hough, R.L. Garcia, P, Jeste, D.V. (2005). Differences in clinical features and mental health service use in bipolar disorder across the life-span. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 13 (4): 290-298.
- Folsom DP, Lebowitz BD, Lindamer LA, Palmer BW, Patterson TL, Jeste DV. (2006) Schizophrenia in late life: emerging issues. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 8(1):45-52.
- Lindamer LA, Wear E, Sadler GR. (2006) Mammography stages of change in middle-aged women with schizophrenia: an exploratory analysis. BMC Psychiatry. 6:49.
- McKibbin, C.L., Folsom, D., Meyer, J., Sirkin, A., Loh, C., and Lindamer, L.A. (2008) Behavioral Interventions to Improve Management of Overweight, Obesity, and Diabetes in Patients with Schizophrenia. In Handbook of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies with Older Adults Gallagher-Thompson, Dolores; Steffen, Ann; Thompson, Larry W. (Eds.) Springer.
- Lindamer, LA, Lebowitz, BD, Hough, RL, Garcia, P Aquirre, A. Halpain, MC Depp, C, Jeste, DV (2008) Improving Care for Older Persons with Schizophrenia through an Academic-Community Partnership. Psychiatric Services.59(3):236-9.
- Lindamer LA, McKibbin C, Norman GJ, Jordan L, Harrison K, Abeyesinhe S, Patrick K. (2008) Assessment of physical activity in middle-aged and older adults with schizophrenia, Schizophr Res.2008 Sep;104(1-3):294-301.
- Lindamer, LA, Lebowitz, BD, Hough, RL, Garcia, P Aguirre, A. Halpain, MC Depp, C, Jeste, DV (2009) Establishing an implementation network: lessons learned from community-based participatory research. Implementation Science 2009, 4:17 (31 Mar 2009)
- Lindamer, LA, Liu, L, Sommerfeld, D, Folsom, D, Hawthorne, W, Garcia, P, Aarons, G, Jeste, DV (2012) Predisposing, enabling, and need factors associated with high service use in a public mental health system. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 39(3):200-9.
- Hawthorne WB, Folsom DP, Sommerfeld DH, Lanouette NM, Lewis M, Aarons GA, Conklin RM, Solorzano E, Lindamer LA, Jeste DV. (2012). Incarceration among adults who are in the public mental health system: rates, risk factors, and short-term outcomes. Psychiatr Serv.;63(1):26-32.
- Godfrey, KM, Lindamer, L, Mostoufi, S, and Afari, N. (2012) Posttraumatic stress disorder and health: a preliminary study of group differences in health and health behaviors. Annals of General Psychiatry, 39(3):200-9.