Marc A. Norman, Ph.D.
200 West Arbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92103-8218
T: (619) 543-2827
F: (619) 543-3738
Dr. Norman received a Ph.D. in clinical psychology, emphasizing in neuropsychology, from Brigham Young University under the mentorship of Dr. Erin Bigler. He completed the UCSD/VA Medical Center Psychology Internship program in 1995. He then continued research at the VA Medical Center and practiced clinical neuropsychology at Sharp Memorial Hospital Rehabilitation Center, specializing in cerebrovascular accidents and traumatic brain injuries. Following an NIH funded research postdoctoral internship with Dean Delis, Ph.D., Dr. Norman joined the UC San Diego Psychiatry faculty. He holds a Diplomate in Clinical Neuropsychology from the American Board of Clinical Neuropsychology and was an examiner. His clinical work includes epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, traumatic brain injuries, stroke, brain tumors, neurodevelopmental injuries, intracarotid amytal procedures (aka Wada procedures), intraoperative brain mapping, and solid organ transplant. His research interests include medical disorders affecting cognitive changes, normative data, and demographic influences on neuropsychological testing. He serves on the Professional Advisory Board for the Epilepsy Foundation of America, San Diego Chapter and the Clinical Advisory Committee for the Multiple Sclerosis Society, Pacific South Coast Chapter. Dr. Norman is active in disaster mental health and is co-chair of the American Red Cross San Diego/Imperial Counties chapter Disaster Mental Health Team.
Dr. Norman’s primary research interest is in neuropsychological functioning in healthy normal adults and adults with neurological or psychiatric disorders. He is involved with ongoing studies in assessing cognitive and memory performance in healthy adults, especially Senior African Americans. Also, Dr. Norman is involved in research addressing the cognitive and affective implications of disease modifying therapies in Multiple Sclerosis as well as research in Epilepsy. Additionally, Dr. Norman has served as an ad hoc reviewer for Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsychology, and Behavioral Neurology.
Dr. Norman provides clinical neuropsychological services through UCSD’s Neuropsychological Associates. In addition to general neuropsychological consultations, he is part of the UCSD Epilepsy Team where he performs pre- and post operative evaluations as well as intracarotid amytal procedures. His responsibilities with the Medical Center’s Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Unit are pre transplantation and consultation/liaison evaluations. Additionally, his clinical responsibilities include graduate student, intern, resident, and postdoctoral fellow supervision and training, as well as lecturing for the Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- Norman, M.A. and Kenton, S.J. (in press). Complexities of Metabolic Disorders: A Case of Methylmalonic Aciduria. In J. Morgan, J. Ricker, and I.S. Baron (eds) Casebook of Clinical Neuropsychology: 2nd Edition.
- Zisook, S., Doran, N., Downs, N., Adley, A., Kirby, B., McGuire, T., Moutier, C., Norcross, W., Norman, M. , Tal, I., Tiamson-Kasab, M. (submitted). Student and Physician Suicidality at a US Medical School: A Healer Education, Assessment and Referral (HEAR) Program Report.
- Thaler, N.S., Thames, A.D., Cagigas, X.E., Norman, M.A. (in press). IQ Testing and the African American Client. In L. Benuto and B Leany (eds). Guide to Psychological Assessment with African Americans.
- Downs N, Feng W, Kirby B, McGuire T, Moutier C, William N, Norman M , Young I, Zisook S. Listening to Depression and Suicidal Risk in Medical Students: the Healer Education Assessment and Referral (HEAR) Program. (2014). Academic Psychiatry. (e-pub ahead of print).
- Sracic, M. K., Thomas, D., Pate, A., Norris, J., Norman, M. , Gertsch, J. H. (2014). Syndrome of Acute Anxiety Among Marines After Recent Arrival at High Altitude. Military Medicine, 179, 559-564.
- Connor, D.C., & Norman, M.A. (in press). Neuropsychology in Geriatric Neurology. In M. Sabbagh and A. Nair. (eds.). Textbook of Geriatric Neurology. FT Press.
- Moutier, M.D., Norcross, W., Jong, P, Norman, M. , Kirby, B., McGuire, T. & Zisook, S. (2012). UC
San Diego Committee on Suicide Prevention and Depression Awareness: Manuscript Describing First Year Activities and Accomplishments. Academic Medicine, 87, 320-326.
- Norman, M.A. , Moore, D.J., Taylor, M.J., Franklin, D., Cysique, L., Ake, C., Lazarretto D., Vaida, F., Heaton, R.K., and the HNRC Group. (2011). Demographically Corrected Norms for African
Americans and Caucasians on the Hopkins Verbal Learning Test-Revised, Brief Visuospatial Memory Test-Revised, Stroop Color and Word Test, and Wisconsin Card Sorting Test 64-Card Version, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 33, 793-804.
- Norman, M.A. (2011). The Psychological Impact of Natural Disasters in School. In V. Ooka Pang, W. Fernekes, and J.L. Nelson (eds). The Human Impact of Natural Disasters: Issues for the Inquiry-Based Classroom.
- Norman, M.A. (2010). A Case of Hepatic Encephalopathy in End Stage Liver Disease Alcoholic Cirrhosis. In J. Morgan, J. Ricker, and I.S. Baron (eds) Casebook of Clinical Neuropsychology.
- Gonzalez, R., Miller, S.W., Carey, C.L., Woods, S.P., Rippeth, J.D., Schweinsburg, B.C., Norman, M.S. , Martin, E.M., Heaton, R.K. (2006). Association between Dyads and correct responses on the Paced Auditory Serial Addition Task (PASAT). Assessment, 13, 381-4.
- Gonzalez, R., Grant, I., Miller, S.W., Taylor, Taylor, M.J., Schweinsburg, B.C., Norman, M. A. , Carey, C.L., Rippeth, J.D., Woods, S.P., Martin, E.M., and Heaton, R.K. (2006). Demographically Adjusted Normative Standards for New Indices of Performance on the Paced Auditory Serial Addition Task (PASAT). The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 20, 396-413.
- McDonald, C.R., Delis, D.C., Norman, M.A. , Tecoma, E.S., and Iragui, V.J. (2005). Discriminating Patients with Frontal Lobe Epilepsy and Temporal Lobe Epilepsy: Utility of a Multi-Level Design Fluency Test. Neuropsychology, 19, 806-13.