Mark G. Myers, Ph.D.
3350 La Jolla Villa Drive
San Diego, CA 92161-116B
T: (858) 642-3436
F: (858) 552-7414
Dr. Myers received his Ph.D. in clinical psychology in 1991 from the UCSD/SDSU Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology and completed an internship and post-doctoral fellowship at the Brown University Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies. He is a faculty member of the UCSD/SDSU Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology and a member of the UCSD Cancer Center. Dr. Myers has participated in NIH study sections, currently serves on the editorial boards of addiction and behavioral medicine journals, and is a fellow of the American Psychological Association. He is author on over 100 peer-reviewed scientific papers and has been the Principal Investigator on 12 NIH and state-funded grants.
Dr. Myers’s program of research examines various aspects of tobacco use, notably the course of youth tobacco use, and tobacco use and comorbid psychiatric disorders. The broad goals of his research are 1) to understand processes underlying youth addictive behaviors, and 2) to evaluate tobacco use interventions for youth and individuals with concomitant psychiatric disorders. The populations investigated in Dr. Myers’s studies have included teens in treatment for alcohol and other drug abuse, high school adolescents, college students and smokers with psychiatric disorders.
Dr. Myers is Lead Clinician for Tobacco use Cessation and Associate Director of the National Tobacco Cessation Clinical Resource Center for the Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System. He also serves as Director of the Mental Health Tobacco Use Cessation Program, which provides specialized tobacco cessation services for veterans with co-morbid psychiatric disorders. Treatment services include group treatments for veterans with psychiatric disorders and substance use disorders.
- Myers, M.G. & Prochaska, J.J. (2008). Does smoking intervention influence adolescent substance use disorder treatment outcomes? Substance Abuse, 29 (2), 81 - 88.
- Myers, M.G., Doran, N.M., Trinidad, D.R., Klonoff, E.A., & Wall, T.L. (2009). A Prospective Study of Cigarette Smoking Initiation During College: Chinese and Korean-American Students. Health Psychology, 28(4), 448-456.
- Myers, M.G. & MacPherson, L. (2009). Coping with Temptations and Adolescent Smoking Cessation: An Initial Investigation. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 11(8), 940-944.
- Doran, N.M., Schweizer, C.A., & Myers, M.G. (2011). Do Expectancies for Reinforcement from Smoking Change After Smoking Initiation? Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. Vol 25(1), 101-107.
- Myers, M., Gwaltney, C., Strong, D., Ramsey, S., Brown, R., Monti, P., & Colby, S. (2011). Adolescent First Lapse Following Smoking Cessation: Situation Characteristics, Precipitants and Proximal Influences. Addictive Behaviors, 36, 1253 – 1260.
- Schweizer, C.A., Roesch, S.C., Khoddam, R., Doran, N.M., & Myers, M.G. (2014). Examining the stability of young-adult alcohol and tobacco co-use: A latent transition analysis. Addiction Research & Theory, 22, 325-335.
- Myers, M.G., Doran, N., Edland, S.D., Schweizer, C.A., Wall, T.L. (2013). Smoking Initiation During College Predicts Future Alcohol Involvement: A Matched Samples Study. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 74, 909-916.
- Leas, E., Myers, M.G., Strong, D.R., Hofstetter, C.R., Al-Delaimy, W.K. (2015). Which anti-tobacco ads are recalled by smokers and which lead to smoking cessation?: results from the California Smokers Cohort. American Journal of Public Health.105(2):e90-7.
- Doran, N.M., Godfrey, K., & Myers, M.G. (2015). Hookah use predicts cigarette smoking progression among college smokers. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, Jan 12. pii: ntu343
- Myers, M.G., Strong, D.R., Linke, S.E., Hofstetter, C.R., Al-Delaimy, W.K. (in press). Predicting Use of Assistance When Quitting: A Longitudinal Study of the Role of Quitting Beliefs. Drug and Alcohol Dependence