Neal Doran, Ph.D.
Assistant Adjunct Professor
T: (858) 552-8585 x 2421
F: (858) 642-6201
Dr. Doran received his B.S. in Psychology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and his Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Illinois-Chicago with support from an American Heart Association Affiliate Fellowship. He completed his predoctoral internship at UCSD, and a postdoctoral National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism fellowship at UCSD with Dr. Mark Myers. Dr. Doran has received funding from the California Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program, NIAAA, and NIDA to study the early stages of cigarette smoking. He joined our faculty in 2008, and is currently Associate Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry and a staff psychologist and Director of Clinical Improvement at the VA San Diego medical center.
Dr. Doran’s research focuses on biological and behavioral risk mechanisms that heighten the risk for initiation and progression of substance use, particularly cigarette smoking. Dr. Doran is currently funded by the Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program to study the role of impulsivity, drug expectancies, and genetic polymorphisms in cigarette smoking among college students.
Dr. Doran is a licensed clinical psychologist in California. His clinical interests include smoking cessation, other substance abuse treatment, and psychological aspects of recovery from medical illness and injury.
- Doran, N., Khoddam, R., Sanders, P. E., Schweizer, C. A., & Myers, M. G. (in press). A prospective study of the Acquired Preparedness Model: The effects of impulsivity and expectancies on smoking initiation in college students. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Doran, N., Luczak, S., Bekman, N., Koutsenok, I., & Brown, S. A. (2012). Adolescent substance use and aggression: A review. Criminal Justice and Behavior, 39, 748-769.
- Doran, N., Sanders, P. E., Bekman, N. M., Worley, M. J., Monreal, T. K., McGee, E., Cummins, K., & Brown, S. A. (2011). Mediating influences of negative affect and risk perception on the relationship between sensation seeking and adolescent cigarette smoking. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 13, 457-465.
- Doran, N., Schweizer, C. A., & Myers, M. G. (2011). Do expectancies for reinforcement from smoking change after smoking initiation? Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 25, 101-107.
- Doran, N., Myers, M. G., Luczak, S. E., Carr, L. G., & Wall, T. L. (2007). Stability of heavy episodic drinking in Chinese- and Korean-American college students: Effects of ALDH2 gene status and behavioral undercontrol. Journal of Studies on Alcohol & Drugs, 68, 789-797.
- Doran, N., McChargue, D., Spring, B., Vanderveen, J., Cook, J. W., & Richmond, M. (2006). Effect of nicotine on negative mood among more impulsive smokers. Experimental & Clinical Psychopharmacology, 14, 287-295.