Paul J. Mills, Ph.D.
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0725
T: (858) 822-1828
F: (858) 534-4642
Dr. Mills is a long-standing National Institutes of Health (NIH)-supported clinical investigator with expertise in psychoneuroimmune processes in wellness and in disease, with a current focus on integrative medicine. He has published more than 300 manuscripts and book chapters on these topics.
He is a former president of the American Psychosomatic Medicine Society, former Associate Editor of the journals Health Psychology, Annals of Behavioral Medicine, and Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology, and former Guest Editor of the journal Annals of Behavioral Medicine for a special issue on the topic of Spirituality, Religiousness, and Health: From Research to Clinical Practice. He is an active faculty member in the Behavioral Medicine track of the UC San Diego/SDSU Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology.
He is a Professor of Family Medicine and Public Health, director of the Center of Excellence for Research and Training in Integrative Health, director of the UC San Diego Clinical Research Biomarker Laboratory and Co-director of the UC San Diego Clinical and Translational Research Institute’s Translational Research Technology (TRT) Laboratories Program where he manages the Affiliated Laboratories Program. He is currently serving as director of research at the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.
Not available at this time.
- Mills PJ , Kennedy BP, Loredo J, Dimsdale JE, & , Ziegler MG. Effects of Nasal Continuous Positive Airway Pressure and Oxygen on Norepinephrine Kinetics and Cardiovascular Responses in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Journal of Applied Physiology 100(1):343-348, 2006.
- Mills PJ, Hong S, Redwine L, Carter SM, Chiu A, Ziegler MG, Dimsdale JE, Maisel AS. Physical fitness attenuates leukocyte - endothelial adhesion in response to acute exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology 101(3):785-788, 2006.
- Malarkey WB, Mills PJ. Invited Review, Named Series: Twenty Years of Brain Behavior & Immunity Endocrinology: The Active Partner in PNI research. Brain, Behavior & Immunity 21:161-168, 2007.
- Edwards KM, Ziegler MG, Mills PJ. The potential anti-inflammatory benefits of improving physical fitness in hypertension. Journal of Hypertension 25(8):1533-1542, 2007.
- Mills PJ, Shapiro D, Goldstein IB, Ottaviani C, Pung MA, Khandrika S, von Känel R, Rutledge TR. Metabolic Predictors of Inflammation, Adhesion, and Coagulability in Healthy Younger Aged Adults. Obesity 16:2702-2706, 2008.
- Wirtz PH, Hong S, Redwine LS, Tafur J, Rutledge T, Ziegler MG, Greenberg BH, Mills PJ. Depressive symptoms are associated with soluble P-selectin (sP-selectin) reactivity to acute exercise in heart failure. Biological Psychiatry 65:801-807, 2009.
- Mills PJ, Natarajan L, von Känel R, Ancoli-Israel S, Dimsdale JE. Diurnal Variability of C-reactive Protein in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Sleep and Breathing 13:415-420, 2009.
- Mills PJ, Dimsdale JE, Natarajan L, Ziegler MG, Maisel A, Greenberg BH. Sleep and Health-Related Quality of Life in Heart Failure. Congestive Heart Failure 15:228-233, 2009.
- Jain S, Mills PJ. Biofield Therapies: helpful or full of hype? A best-evidence synthesis. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine 17:1-16, 2010.
- Tafur J, Van Wijk EPA, Van Wijk R, Mills PJ. Biophoton Detection and Low-Intensity Light Therapy: A Potential Clinical Partnership. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery 28:23-30, 2010.
- Redwine LS, Wirtz PH, Hong S, Ziegler MG, Greenberg BH, Mills PJ. Norepinephrine secretion and lymphocyte catecholamine-induced chemotaxis following exercise in heart failure patients and controls: associations with depressive symptoms. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, in press.