T: (858) 534-9458
F: (858) 534-9410
Dr. Anthenelli earned his baccalaureate degree from the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, and his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed his internship in internal medicine at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, and his psychiatry residency training at UCSD and the San Diego Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center. Additional post-doctoral training included a two-year fellowship in addiction psychiatry research that was funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
He was formerly a Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at the University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine where he founded and directed the Center for Treatment, Research & Education in Addictive Disorders and the Addiction Sciences Division. While in Cincinnati, he also directed the Substance Dependence Program at the Cincinnati VA which was awarded the Department of Veterans Affairs, Under Secretary for Health’s Award as a Clinical Program of Excellence in Substance Abuse and was selected as a National Tobacco Cessation Clinical Resource Center.
Dr. Anthenelli is the recipient of a Young Investigator Award from the American Society of Addiction Medicine and he has been selected among the Best Doctors and Top Psychiatrists in America. He is the editor of the substance use disorders section of Current Psychiatry, and serves on the editorial advisory boards of the Journal of Addiction Medicine, Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, and Alcohol Research: Current Reviews.
The overarching theme of Dr. Anthenelli’s research is to develop improved treatments for tobacco and alcohol dependence by better understanding the neurobiology of the disorders. He is the author or co-author of over 180 peer-reviewed articles, book chapters and published abstracts. Support for his research is provided by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Department of Veterans Affairs, and various industry sponsors.
- Anthenelli RM , Maxwell RM. Cigarette smoking decreases the prolactin response to serotonergic stimulation in subgroups of alcoholics and controls. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2000; 24(7): 987-995.
- Berlin I, Anthenelli RM. Monoamine oxidases and smoking. Int J Neuropsychopharmacology 2001; 4:33-42.
- Anthenelli RM, Maxwell RA, Geracioti TD, Jr., Hauger R. Stress hormone dysregulation at rest and following serotonergic stimulation among alcohol dependent men with extended abstinence and controls. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2001; 25: 692-703.
- Anthenelli RM, Maxwell RA. Independent alcohol and tobacco effects on stress axis function. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2002; 26(12):1932-1933.
- Granholm E, Anthenelli RM, Monteiro R, Sevcik J, Stoler M. Brief integrated outpatient dual-diagnosis treatment reduces psychiatric hospitalizations: Am J Addict 2003; 12(4): 306-313.
- Anthenelli RM . How – and why – to help psychiatric patients stop smoking. Current Psychiatry 2005; 4(1):77-87.
- Heffner JL, Blom T, Camerota E, Sansone LE, Bodie L, Smith J, Lin S, Drake JM, Meyer C, Anthenelli RM. Interrelated effects of substance use diagnosis, race, and smoking severity on abstinence initiation in dually-dependent male smokers: results of a retrospective chart review. Journal of Addiction Medicine 2007; 1(4):191-197.
- Anthenelli RM, Blom TJ, McElroy SL, Keck PE, Jr. Preliminary evidence for gender-specific effects of topiramate as a potential aid to smoking cessation. Addiction 2008; 103:687-694.
- Heffner JL, Tran GQ, Johnson CS, Winders Barrett S, Blom TJ, Thompson RD, Anthenelli RM. Combining motivational interviewing with compliance enhancement therapy (MI-CET): development and preliminary evaluation of a new, manual-guided psychosocial adjunct to alcohol dependence pharmacotherapy. J Stud Alcohol Drugs 2010; 71(1): 61-70.
- Anthenelli RM. Alcohol and health - focus on: comorbid mental health disorders. Alcohol Res & Health 2010; 33:109-117.
- Heffner JL, Blom TJ, Anthenelli RM. Gender differences in trauma history and symptoms as predictors of relapse to alcohol and drug use. American Journal on Addictions 2011; 20:307-311.
- Heffner JL, Strawn JR, DelBello MP, Strakowski SM, Anthenelli RM. The co-occurrence of cigarette smoking and bipolar disorder: phenomenology and treatment considerations. Bipolar Disord. 2011;13(5-6):439-53.
- Williams JM, Anthenelli RM, Morris CD, Treadow J, Thompson JR, Yunis C, George TP. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the safety and efficacy of varenicline for smoking cessation in patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2012,73(5):654-60.
- Anthenelli RM. Overview: stress and alcohol disorders revisited. Alcohol Res. 2012; 34(4):386-92.
- Anthenelli RM, Morris C, Ramey TS, Dubrava SJ, Tsilkos K, Russ C, Yunis C. Effects of varenicline on smoking cessation in adults with stably-treated current or past major
depression: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159(6):390-400.