Sidney Zisook, M.D.
Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry
Director, Residency Training
3350 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92161-116A
T: (858) 534-4040
F: (858) 822-0231
Sidney Zisook, M.D., is director of the University of California, San Diego Residency Training Program, and a Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry at UCSD. Dr. Zisook received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of California at Berkeley and his medical degree from Stritch-Loyola, Chicago. He completed his residency in Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and was a clinical fellow of Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Zisook’s research centers around mood as both a primary and secondary manifestation/disorder. Much of his research has been focused on the natural history, differentiation from depression and treatment of grief and bereavement. Current research projects include: 1) treatment of bereavement – associated depression; 2) interventions for traumatic (aka complicated) grief; 3) interventions for treatment resistant depression; 4) predicting antidepressant response; 5) preventing physician suicide. Dr. Zisook also is Director of the Operation Core of the Advanced Interventions Center for Older Persons with Psychotic Disorders.
Dr. Zisook’s major clinical focus is treatment of adult patients with grief, mood and anxiety disorders. Using an integrated approach which combines various psychotherapeutic modalities with pharmacotherapy, Dr. Zisook provides consultation for patients with particularly chronic and refractory conditions, individuals with complicated bereavement reactions, and older persons with mood and/or anxiety disorders.
- Zisook, S., Ganadjian, K., Moutier, C., Prather, R., Rao, S. (2008). Sequenced Treatment alternatives to Relieve Depression (STAR*D): lessons learned. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 69(7):1184-5.
- Kendler, K., Myers, J., Zisook, S. (2008). Does bereavement-related major depression differ from major depression associated with other stressful life events? The American Journal of Psychiatry, 165: 1449-55.
- Auster, T., Moutier, C., Lanouete, N., Zisook, S. (2008). Bereavement and Depression: Implications for Diagnosis and Treatment. Psychiatric Annals, 38(10): 655-661.
- Zisook, S., Kasckow, J.W., Golshan, S., Fellows, I., Solorzano, E., Lehman, D., Mohamed, S., Jeste, D.V. (2009). Citalopram augmentation for subsyndromal symptoms of depression in middle-aged and older outpatients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 70(4):562-71.
- Zisook, S., Trivedi, M.H., Warden, D., Lebowitz, B., Thase, M.E., Stewart, J.W., Moutier, C., Fava, M., Wisniewski, S.R., Luther, L., Rush, A.J. (2009). Clinical correlates of the worsening or emergence of suicidal ideation during SSRI treatment of depression: An examination of citalopram in the STARD study. Journal of Affective Disorders, 117(1-2):63-73.