Thomas D. Marcotte, Ph.D.
Dr. Marcotte is Center Manager of the HIV Neurobehavioral Research Center and a Co-Director of CHARTER, a national multi-site study of the CNS impact of treatments for HIV. He is also the Director of Mental Health for the UCSD Owen HIV Clinic, which serves 3,000 HIV patients. Dr. Marcotte received his B.A. from UCSD, M.A. from the University of Connecticut, Ph.D. in clinical psychology from CSPP-Los Angeles, and completed post-doctoral training in neuropsychology at UCSD. Dr. Marcotte has served on the editorial boards of Neuropsychology and the Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society.
Dr. Marcotte’s research focuses on the neuropsychology of HIV infection, the impact that mild cognitive deficits have on everyday functioning, and behavioral interventions to improve real-world performance. Etiologies of interest include neurologic conditions/infectious diseases (HIV, HCV), substance use (methamphetamine, cannabis), and normal aging. Dr. Marcotte has developed techniques for assessing the most complex of everyday tasks, driving an automobile, and examined the types of deficits that may predispose an individual to impaired driving abilities. He co-edited the book Neuropsychology of Everyday Functioning. Dr. Marcotte has also led international studies on the cognitive effects of HIV, host and viral predictors of impairment, and the impact of antiretroviral treatments.
Neuropsychology of HIV and other dementing disorders.
- Marcotte, T.D., Corey-Bloom, J., Rosenthal, T.J., Roberts, E., Lampinen, S., & Allen., R.W. (2008). The contribution of cognitive deficits and spasticity to driving performance in Multiple Sclerosis. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 89(9), 1753-1758.
- Marcotte, T.D. and Grant, I., Editors (2009). Neuropsychology of Everyday Functioning. New York: Guilford Press.
- Marcotte, T.D. & Scott, J.C. (2009). Neuropsychological performance and the assessment of driving behavior. In I. Grant & K. Adams, (Eds.). Neuropsychological Assessment of Neuropsychiatric Disorders, 3rd Edition.
- Scott, J. C., Woods, S. P., Vigil, O., Heaton, R.K., Grant, I., Ellis, R. J., & Marcotte, T.D. (2011). Script generation of activities of daily living in HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 17(4), 740-745.
- Wilsey, B.L., Marcotte, T.D., Deutsch, R., Gouaux, B., Sakai, S., and Donaghe, H. (2012). Low dose vaporized cannabis significantly improves neuropathic pain. Journal of Pain, 14(2), 136-148.
- Marcotte, T.D., Bekman, N.M., Meyer, R.A., and Brown, S.A. (2012). High-risk driving behaviors among adolescent binge drinkers. American Journal of Drug Alcohol and Abuse, 38(4), 322-327.
- Sakamoto, M., Marcotte, T.D., Umlauf, A., Franklin, D., Heaton, R.K., Ellis, R.J., Letendre, S., Alexander, T., McCutchan, J.A., Morgan, E.E., Woods, S.P., Collier, A.C., Marra, C.M., Clifford, D.B., Gelman, B.B., McArthur, J.C., Morgello, S., Simpson, D., Grant, I., and the CHARTER Group. (2013). Concurrent classification accuracy of the HIV Dementia Scale for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders in the CHARTER cohort. Journal of AIDS. 2012
- Marcotte, T.D., Deutsch, R., Michael, B.D., Franklin, D., Cookson, D.R., Bharti, A.R., Grant, I., Letendre, S.L., and the CHARTER Group. (2013). A concise panel of biomarkers identifies neurocognitive functioning changes in HIV-infected Individuals. Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, 8(5), 1123-35.