Student Employment Eligibility
• In order for a student to be working for the University the
student must pay registration fees each quarter working, therefore
being a “Registered” Student.
• Students who are not registered are not eligible for “Student”
employment with the University
• Students enrolled part time may continue to work under “Student”
• Students who withdraw from enrollment or do not show Registered
in the payroll system cannot continue to work as a student.
• Exception: A student who has paid Spring fees can work through
the summer up until the day before Fall class begins.
• Undergraduate students are not eligible for University staff
In order for a student to receive an equity increase (raise in hourly pay rate) the students supervisor must send a written request or email Thien-Chi Vu. The letter should include the additional or new responsibilities the employee acquired since their hire as well as the new pay rate.
• Supervisors should ensure that their budget will cover the
increase in pay.
• Customarily students work for one year before receiving an equity
increase unless a student has shown exceptional performance or has a
significant increase in responsibilities since their hire.
• Equity Increases customarily range between $0.50 to $1.00/ hour.
Student to Staff
• In order for a student to be eligible to transfer from an
undergraduate or graduate student position into a staff limited or
career position the student must be currently enrolled as a student
and employed in the department for at least 3 consecutive quarters
not including summer.
The students supervisor must complete a Hiring Request Form and prepare an On-Line Job
Description and ROUTE the job description to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The student is responsible for submitting a resume, a
Resume Supplement and an
Applicant Data Form to Thien-Chi at mail code 0737. To speed up the process it is suggested that completed forms be faxed immediately to (858) 822-0014.
Students who plan to graduate should inform Thien-Chi immediately at least 2 weeks prior to their graduation date if they plan to leave/ terminate their employment.
• Students who graduate during the school year (fall or winter)
cannot continue to work as an undergraduate student past the date of
• Students who graduate in the spring may work up until the day
before the new fall quarter begins.
• Students who plan to continue working for the University after
they have graduated must contact Thien-Chi Vu immediately to be
hired as a staff employee. (NOTE: This process should be started
at least one month prior to the graduation date to avoid a break in
Leave of Absence
Students should inform Thien-Chi Vu of any extended time away from work (more than 2 weeks) so that appropriate arrangements can be made to collect timesheets and pay the employee in a timely manner.
Students not working during the summer
Students who do not plan to work during the summer but plan to resume at the beginning of the new school year should contact Thien-Chi Vu so that proper arrangements can be made to terminate employment OR to hold timesheets until the student returns.
• A student should always inform the department of his or her return
to work, so that we may resume sending timesheets.
• Students who are resigning from their position with the
Department of Psychiatry or UCSD completely should inform their
direct supervisor AND inform Thien-Chi Vu at least 2 weeks prior to their last day.
• A separation appointment must be scheduled at least 72 hours prior
to the student’s last day of work. This will ensure that a student
receives a final paycheck on his or her last day.
• Students will need to bring their final timesheet with their
supervisor’s signature to the meeting as well as a copy of their
• If the student has been contributing to the Defined Contribution
Plan, they will learn of their options to roll over or cash out
during the separation appointment.