• Staff positions are classified on the basis of
duties and responsibilities assigned and exercised.
As duties and responsibilities change, the position may
need to be
• Request a classification review whenever
permanent and substantial changes in job duties occur.
Common examples include:
||• Changes in
the nature, variety, and difficulty of work
• Changes in supervision received
• Changes in supervision exercised
• Do not request a classification review when
work volume increases or job performance is
outstanding. Work volume and job performance do not
• Reclassified employees typically retain the
majority (50% or more) of their prior job duties and also
assume additional duties.
• Classification review may result in a higher,
lower, or lateral classification change.
• Contact Ling at 858-822-0246 to discuss your
classification & reclassification requests.
Documents Required for Reclassification Process:
- Revised online job card with new functions and tasks meeting the criteria of the proposed payroll title. You may access the Module via the UCSD Online Job Description Library. You may create a new job description by copying the current job description. However, major changes have to be made in all sections for any upward reclassification request to demonstrate the significant changes. Payroll Title or Position Overview should never be changed without changing the main functions and tasks of the position.
- Supplemental Form – Request for Reclassification Review Form should be completed and attached to the online Job Card. You may retrieve this form by clicking on the Header Tab called Supplemental Form – Request a Review in the Online Job Description Module. The questions should be answered from the perspective of the supervisor rather than from the employee's. It should not be written in the 1st person point of view, even if the employee helps with preparing the draft of the Reclassification Request.
- Organizational Chart – This form should specify the personnel structure of the research/administrative/clinical program and the relationship and relative rank of this position and others in the whole program. You may upload the Org. Chart to the online job description. Please highlight the employee’s name and proposed payroll title.
• Return to the
Description Main Menu. Click on "Edit/Submit and
In-Progress Job Description". Enter the job number and
click "Retrieve Description." At the top of the page,
click "Upload/Replace Org Chart." Click "Browse" to
locate your saved Organizational Chart. Once you have
found the document containing the chart, click "Click
here to attach your chart".
• If the position is a Programmer/Analyst or
Computer Resource Specialist, complete the Supplement for Programmer/Analyst or Computer Resource
Specialist. Make sure the checkbox at the top of
the page is checked to attach the supplement to the job
description. Click "Save Supplement".
• Route the completed forms to the supervisor
for revision and signature.
• Route the revised job description and attached
supplement and org chart to Ling at firstname.lastname@example.org
and then fax a copy signed by the supervisor and the
employee to Ling at 858-822-0014.
• Incomplete requests will be returned to the
supervisor/employee, with a request for missing info.
• Effective Date: If approved, reclassifications
will be effective on the 1st of the following month after
receipt of the complete request for classification
• Approval notice will be sent to the supervisor
and salary rate will be coordinated and implemented
according to the policy.
• Guidelines on How to Write Job Description
How to Use On-Line Job Description Application
• Job Description Menu
• UCSD Blink: Title and Pay Information
1. On-Line Job Description
Request for Classification Review
Supplement for Programmer/Analyst or Computer Resource
4. Organizational Chart
(should be completed and attached to the job description
by clicking the "Upload/Replace Org Chart" button. See
instructions in the Process and forms column to