Christine Moutier, M.D.
Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
UCSD School of Medicine
9500 Gilman Drive
San Diego, CA 92161
Phone #: (858) 534-3701
Fax #: (858) 534-8556
Originally a classical pianist, Dr. Moutier studied piano performance at Vassar College prior to studying medicine. She graduated and completed her residency training in psychiatry from UCSD medical school. Since 1999 she has been on the full-time faculty doing inpatient, outpatient, and consult-liaison psychiatry, and now serves as the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs for the School of Medicine. She remains clinical active at the VA and UCSD.
Dr. Moutier’s research interests have been mainly focused on the stigma of mental illness and attitudes toward psychiatry within the medical community. Additionally she is a co-investigator for the STAR*D study, a large NIMH study of treatment for refractory depression. She also works with UCSD Ophthalmology looking at the co-existence of macular degeneration and depression.
Dr. Moutier teaches medical students on the topics of “Stress as a physician and healthy coping,” “Professionalism in Medicine,” and “Prevention of Burnout.” She also teaches in the regular Psychiatry Residents Didactic Series from the R1-4 years on topics pertaining to “Depression throughout the Woman’s Life Cycle,” “Somatization Disorder,” and “Early Career Planning for Psychiatrists.” She also lectures nationwide on Psychopharmacological topics.
Dr. Moutier’s clinical focus is in the arenas of mood disorders, consultation-liaison psychiatry, and women’s mental health.
- Moutier CY, Stein MB. History, epidemiology, and differential diagnosis: a summary from the 1998 APA Symposium on Social Phobia. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 99:60(S9);4-8.
- Feifel D, Moutier CY, Swerdlow N. Attitudes toward psychiatry among students entering medical school. American Journal of Psychiatry 99:156;1397-1402.
- Moutier CY, Stein MB: Biological Basis of Social Phobia. Hofmann SG, Di
Bartolo PM. From Social Anxiety to Social Phobia: Multiple Perspectives.
2000; 179-199. Boston, MA, Pearson, Allyn & Bacon.
- Moutier C, Meyer JM. Book Review: Model Psychopharmacology Curriculum For Psychiatric Residency Programs, Training Directors and Teachers of Psychopharmacology, Third Edition by a Committee of the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology. New York, The American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology 2004; in Journal of Bipolar Disorders, 2005; 4(4):19.
- Glick ID, Salzman C, Cohen BM, Klein DF, Moutier C, Nasrallah H, Ongur D, Wang P, Zisook S. Improving the pedagogy associated with the teaching of psychopharmacology to improve practice. Academic Psychiatry, 2007:31;211-217.