Dr. Chavira received her B.A. in Psychology from the University of California, Berkeley and her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the UCSD/SDSU Joint Doctoral Program. She completed her pre-doctoral internship at Brown University and a postdoctoral fellowship with Dr. Murray Stein at UCSD. Dr. Chavira also received postdoctoral training at UCLA’s Child OCD, Anxiety, Tourette’s and Tic Disorders clinic. Dr. Chavira has a Mentored Research Scientist Award (K01) from the NIMH. She is affiliated with the Child and Adolescent Services Research Center (CASRC) at Children's Hospital and provides training to fellows in the UCSD Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Residency Training Program..
Dr. Chavira’s research focuses on examining the effectiveness of empirically supported interventions for anxiety disorders in real world settings. She is currently conducting studies to examine barriers to service engagement for families of children with anxiety disorders and adapting a cognitive behavioral anxiety intervention to be appropriate for the pediatric primary care setting. Dr. Chavira also has varied cross-cultural interests including culture specific expressions of anxiety disorders and examining the appropriateness of interventions across cultures. Other research interests include examining genetic markers for childhood disorders, including selective mutism and obsessive compulsive disorder.
Dr. Chavira is a licensed clinical psychologist specializing in cognitive behavior therapy for child and adult anxiety disorders. She is a psychotherapy supervisor for both child and adult psychiatry residents and leads a semester long seminar addressing the theoretical underpinnings and practical applications of empirically supported treatments for childhood disorders.
- Chavira, D.A., Shipon Blum, E., Hitchcock, C., Cohan, S., Stein, M.B. (in press). Selective mutism and social anxiety: All in the family?
- Chavira D. A., Stein M. B., Bailey K.,& Stein, M. T. (2004). Childhood anxiety disorders in primary care; Prevalent but untreated. Depression and Anxiety. 20, 155-64. .
- Chavira, D. A., Bailey, Stein M. T., & Stein, M. B. (2004). Childhood social phobia and early onset depression: A subtype perspective. Journal of Affective Disorders, 80, 163-171.
- Chavira, D. A., Grilo, C., Shea, M. T., Yen, S., Gunderson, J. G., Morey, L. C., Skodol, A. E., Stout, R. L., Zanarini, M. & McGlashan, T. H. (2003). Ethnicity and four personality disorders. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 44, 483-91.
- Chavira, D. A., & Stein, M. B. (2002). Combined psychoeducation and SSRI treatment for youth with generalized social anxiety disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 12, 47-54.