Dilip V. Jeste, M.D.
Estelle and Edgar Levi Chair in Aging
Director, Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging
Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry & Neurosciences
Director of Education, Clinical and Translational Research Institute
Chief, Geriatric Psychiatry Division
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Dr MC 0664
La Jolla Ca 92093-0664
Phone #: 858-534-4020
Fax #: 858-534-5475
Dr. Jeste is the Principal Investigator on several research and training grants, including national level research training programs for medical students. He is the Director of the Education Division of the NIH-funded Clinical and Translational Research Institute at UCSD. He was the Director of an NIMH-funded Advanced Center for Innovation in Services and Intervention and Research at UCSD, focusing on psychosis in late-life. Following medical education in India, Dr. Jeste completed psychiatry and neurology residencies at Cornell and George Washington University, respectively. He was Chief of Units on Movement Disorders and Dementias at NIMH before joining UCSD in 1986. He was the President of the American Psychiatric Association, the American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry, and the International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology. He is alsothe Editor-in-Chief of the American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. He has published 11 books, and over 600 articles in peer-reviewed journals and books. Dr. Jeste is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences. He was a member of the National Advisory Mental Health Council as well as of the Council of Councils of the National Institutes of Health. He is in the Institute of Scientific Information list of the “world's most cited authors”--comprising less than 0.5% percent of all publishing researchers of the last two decades.
Dr. Jeste’s primary areas of research are psychosis and its treatment in late life, and successful cognitive aging. He has conducted studies of clinical, neuropsychological and neurobiological characteristics of late-onset schizophrenia, aging of early-onset schizophrenia patients, and psychosis of Alzheimer’s disease. In terms of treatments, he has published on therapeutic and adverse effects (including metabolic syndrome) of antipsychotics. He has also been interested in psychosocial treatments as well as certain bioethical aspects of research (particularly decision making capacity and methods for enhancing it) among older people with psychotic disorders. In recent years, he has been seeking to understand mechanisms involved in successful cognitive aging (including wisdom) at both psychological and neurobiological levels.
Dr. Jeste started the Geriatric Psychiatry program at UCSD in 1986. Two key components of the Division of Geriatric Psychiatry are Senior Behavioral Health program (with inpatient unit and outpatient clinic) at UCSD Medical Center, and Geriatric Psychiatry Clinic at VA San Diego Healthcare System. Both these multi-disciplinary programs serve older persons with various neuropsychiatric disorders including dementia, depression, schizophrenia, alcohol and substance use disorders, and anxiety disorders. Patients receive psychiatric, medical and neuropsychologic assessments. Treatments include pharmacotherapy, psychosocial therapy, and family education/therapy with caregivers. There are also several training programs in geriatric mental health for fellows, medical students, and high-school students.
- Jeste DV, Caligiuri MP, Paulsen JS, Heaton RK, Lacro JP, Harris MJ, Bailey A, Fell RL and McAdams LA: Risk of tardive dyskinesia in older patients: A prospective longitudinal study of 266 outpatients. Archives of General Psychiatry, 52:756-765, 1995.
- Jeste DV, Symonds LL, Harris MJ, Paulsen JS, Palmer BW and Heaton RK: Non-dementia non-praecox dementia praecox?: Late-onset schizophrenia. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 5(4):302-317, 1997.
- Jeste DV, Alexopoulos GS, Bartels SJ, Cummings JL, Gallo JJ, Gottlieb GL, Halpain MC, Palmer BW, Patterson TL, Reynolds CF and Lebowitz BD: Consensus statement on the upcoming crisis in geriatric mental health: Research agenda for the next two decades. Archives of General Psychiatry, 56:848-853, 1999.
- Depp C and Jeste DV: Definitions and predictors of successful aging: A comprehensive review of the literature. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 14:6-20, 2006.
- Jeste DV, Blazer D, Casey DE, Meeks T, Salzman C, Schneider L, Tariot P and Yaffe K: ACNP White Paper: Update on the use of antipsychotic drugs in elderly persons with dementia. Neuropsychopharmacology 33:957-970, 2008.
- Soontornniyomkij V, Risbrough VB, Young JW, Wallace CK, Soontornniyomkij B, Jeste DV and Achim CL: Short-term recognition memory impairment is associated with decreased expression of FK506 binding protein 51 in the aged mouse brain. Age 32:309-322, 2010.
- Jeste DV and Harris JC: Wisdom - A neuroscience perspective. Journal of the American Medical Association 304:1602-1603, 2010.