Julie Loebach Wetherell, Ph.D.
Professor In Residence
Phone #: (858) 552-8585 ext. 2752
Fax #: (858) 552-4321
Dr. Wetherell earned a B.A. at Yale and a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology with specialization in aging at the University of Southern California. After a geropsychology internship at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, she completed a postdoctoral fellowship at UCSD’s Advanced Center for Interventions and Services Research in Geriatric Mental Health. She has been a member of the UCSD faculty since 2003.
Dr. Wetherell’s research primarily focuses on the assessment and treatment of anxiety disorders in older adults.
Dr. Wetherell holds a position as Staff Psychologist in the VA San Diego Healthcare System Home-Based Primary Care program, which provides comprehensive, interdisciplinary primary care services in the homes of older veterans with chronic and disabling disease.
- Wetherell, J. L., Afari, N., Ayers, C. R., Stoddard, J. A., Ruberg, J., Sorrell, J. T., Liu, L., Petkus, A. J., Thorp, S. R., Kraft, A., & Patterson, T. L. (2011). Acceptance and commitment therapy for generalized anxiety disorder in older adults: A preliminary report. Behavior Therapy, 42, 127-134.
- Wetherell, J. L., Afari, N., Rutledge, T., Sorrell, J. T., Stoddard, J. A., Petkus, A. J., Solomon, B. C., Lehman, D. H., Liu, L., Lang, A. J., & Atkinson, J. H. (2011). A randomized, controlled trial of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for chronic pain. Pain, 152, 2098-2107.
- Wetherell, J. L., Petkus, A. J., Thorp, S. R., Stein, M. B., Chavira, D. A., Campbell-Sills, L., Craske, M. G., Sherbourne, C., Bystritsky, A., Sullivan, G., & Roy-Byrne, P. (2013). Age differences in treatment response to a collaborative care intervention for anxiety disorders. British Journal of Psychiatry, 203, 65-72.
- Wetherell, J. L., Petkus, A. J., White, K. S., Nguyen, H., Kornblith, S., Andreescu, C., Zisook, S., & Lenze, E. J. (2013). Antidepressant medication augmented with cognitive behavioral therapy for Generalized Anxiety Disorder in older adults. American Journal of Psychiatry, 170, 782-789.
- Steiner, A. R. W., Petkus, A. J., Nguyen, H., & Wetherell, J. L. (in press). Information processing bias and pharmacotherapy outcome in older adults with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Journal of Anxiety Disorders.