Kathleen Kim, M.D., M.P.H.
H.S. Clinical Professor
E-MAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
PHONE #: 858 642-3686
FAX #: 858 642-6442
Kathleen Kim, M.D., M.P.H. is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry in the UCSD Department of Psychiatry and the Acting Chief of Psychiatry at the VA San Diego Healthcare System. Dr. Kim received her M.D. from Brown University in 1983; her M.P.H. from the Harvard School of Public Health in 1983, and her A.B. from Brown University in 1979. Dr. Kim is also a geriatric psychiatrist.
Dr. Kim is primarily interested in mental health services research. She collaborates with other faculty in analyzing barriers to psychiatric treatment and patterns of mental health service utilization. Her current activity is how to make services more accessible to younger veterans at VASDHS. In addition, Dr. Kim is a former IRB Committee Chair and collaborates on projects assessing decisional capacity for clinical research.
As Acting Chief of Psychiatry, Dr. Kim is responsible for directing all psychiatric services at the VA and collaborating with the other mental health Service Chiefs. The VASDHS provides a range of mental health services to 10,000 veterans annually. The VA is also a major training site for psychiatric residents, medical students, and other trainees.
1. Franz CE, Barker JC, Kim K, Flores Y, Jenkins C, Kravitz RL, Hinton L. When Help Becomes a Hindrance: Mental Health Referral Systems as Barriers to Care for Primary Care Physicians Treating Patients With Alzheimer Disease. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry (in press)
2. Wetherell JL, Kim, DS, Lindamer LA, Thorp SR, Hawthorne W, Kim K, Hough RL, Garcia P, Jeste DV. Anxiety Disorders in a Public Mental Health System: Clinical Characteristics and Service Use Patterns. Journal of Affective Disorders, 104:179–183, 2007.
3. Jeste DV, Palmer BW, Appelbaum PS, Golshan S, Glorioso D, Dunn LB, Kim K, Meeks T, Kraemer HC. A New Brief Instrument for Assessing Decisional Capacity for Clinical Research. Archives of General Psychiatry 64:966-974, 2007.
4. Jacobs SC, Bruce ML, Kim K: "Adrenal Function Predicts Demoralization After Losses.” Psychosomatics 38:529-534, 1997.
5. Bruce ML, Kim K, Leaf PJ, Jacobs SC: “Depressive Episodes and Dysphoria Resulting from Conjugal Bereavement in a Prospective Community Sample.” American Journal of Psychiatry 147:608-611, 1990.