Martin P. Paulus, M.D.
Professor in Residence
Department of Psychiatry
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine
University of California San Diego
8939 Villa La Jolla Drive, Suite 230
La Jolla, CA 92037
Phone: (858) 534-9444
FAX: (858) 534-9450
Dr. Paulus studied Medicine at the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz from 1979-1985. Dr. Paulus received a postdoctoral fellowship from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation) in 1986 to study the effects of calcium antagonists on animal models of mania at the University of California San Diego with Dr. Karen Britton. Dr. Paulus worked with Dr. Mandell and Dr. Stephen Gass on developing classification approaches for simple discrete nonlinear systems using measures from ergodic theory of dynamical systems. These approaches were subsequently adapted to examine the complex patterns of locomotor activities in rodents. This lead Dr. Paulus to collaborate extensively with Dr. Mark Geyer in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California San Diego (UCSD). In 1993, Dr. Paulus left UCSD to resume his medical training. He completed his internship at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center / Zucker Hillside Hospital on Long Island, NY. In 1994, he rejoined the Department of Psychiatry at UCSD as a psychiatric resident. Dr. Paulus completed his residency in psychiatry in 1997. At that time, he joined the Department as an Assistant Professor in Residence.
Dr Paulus has been interested in understanding decision-making processes and their dysfunction in psychiatric populations. In particular, how decision-making dysfunctions contribute to transition from casual use of drugs to drug dependence and how these dysfunctions contribute to relapse in individuals with stimulant dependence.
At the San Diego Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Dr. Paulus, in collaboration with Alby Quinlan, RN, MSN, developed a manualized, structured, multi-modal anger management manual. He regularly teaches an anger management class with Alby Quinlan and has given several clinical presentations on the physical and psychological consequences of anger.
- Paulus,MP, Geyer,MA, Gold,LH, Mandell,AJ (1990): Application of entropy measures derived from the ergodic theory of dynamical systems to rat locomotor behavior. Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.U.S A 87: 723-727.
- Paulus,MP, Geyer,MA (1993): Three independent factors characterize spontaneous rat motor activity. Behav.Brain Res. 53: 11-20.
- Paulus,MP (1997): Long-range interactions in sequences of human behavior. Physical Review E vol.55, 3249-3256.
- Paulus,MP, Tapert,SF, Schuckit,MA (2005): Neural activation patterns of methamphetamine-dependent subjects during decision making predict relapse. Arch.Gen.Psychiatry 62: 761-768.
- Paulus,MP, Feinstein,JS, Castillo,G, Simmons,AN, Stein,MB (2005): Dose-dependent decrease of activation in bilateral amygdala and insula by Lorazepam during emotion processing. Arch.Gen.Psychiatry 62: 282-288.