Marc A. Schuckit, M.D.
Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry
Editor, Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs
Department of Psychiatry (0866)
University of California, San Diego
8950 Villa La Jolla Drive, Suite B-218
La Jolla, CA 92093-0866
Phone: (858) 822-0880
Fax: (858) 822-1002
Dr. Schuckit received a B.S. from the University of Wisconsin, an M.D. from Washington University, interned at Cedars Sinai Medical Center, and was a resident in psychiatry at Washington University and UCSD. He was a special advisor to the Commanding Officer of the Naval Health Research Center (1972–1974), and the first Director of the Alcohol and Drug Institute, University of Washington (1975–1978). He returned to San Diego as Professor of Psychiatry as well as Director of the Alcohol and Drug Treatment Program, University of California, San Diego, and the VA San Diego Healthcare System, which he directed until July 1, 2009.
Dr. Schuckit’s major focus is alcohol and drugs. He was Chair of the DSM-IV substance disorders workgroup and a member of the DSM-V committee. In addition, he has published papers about the optimal diagnostic criteria for substance use disorders. Regarding the genetics of alcoholism, Dr. Schuckit has carried out adoption-type studies, identified a genetic characteristic that impacts on elevated alcoholism risk (the low level of response to alcohol), and is now uncovering related genes. He is currently completing a 25-year follow-up (94% success rate) of sons of alcoholics where he is identifying environmental events that might relate to how the biological predisposition toward alcohol dependence is mediated. An additional research area is co-morbidity between substance use disorders and major psychiatric conditions.
Dr. Schuckit directed the Alcohol and Drug Treatment Program at the VA San Diego Healthcare System, and still supervises residents, medical students, and staff. He is also a major contact person regarding alcohol and drug problems in students, faculty, and staff at UCSD and the San Diego VA. Additional clinical interests include the treatment of depressive disorders, anxiety conditions, and geriatric psychiatric populations.
- Schuckit, M. A. (2009). Alcohol-use disorders. Lancet, 373, 492-501.
- Schuckit, M. A. (2009). An overview of genetic influences in alcoholism. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 36, S5-14.
- Schuckit, M. A., Smith, T. L., Danko, G. P., Trim, R., Bucholz, K. K., Edenberg, H. J., Hesselbrock, V., Kramer, J. J., & Dick, D. M. (2009). An evaluation of the full level of response to alcohol model of heavy drinking and problems in COGA offspring. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 70, 436-445.
- Trim, R. S., Schuckit, M. A., & Smith, T. L. (2009). The relationships of the level of response to alcohol and additional characteristics to alcohol use disorders across adulthood: A discrete-time survival analysis. Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research, 33, 1562-1570.
- Schuckit, M. A. (2008). Alcohol and Alcoholism. In A. S. Fauci, E. Braunwald, D. L. Kasper, H. S. Hauser, D. L. Longo, J. L. Jameson, & J. Loscalzo (Eds.), Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine (17th ed.) (pp. 2724-2729). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Schuckit, M. A., Danko, G. P., Smith, T. L., Bierut, L. J., Bucholz, K. K., Edenberg, H. J., Hesselbrock, V., Kramer, J., Nurnberger, J. I.,Jr, Trim, R., Allen, R., Kreikebaum, S., & Hinga, B. (2008). The prognostic implications of DSM-IV abuse criteria in drinking adolescents. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 97, 94-104.
- Schuckit, M. A., Smith, T. L., Trim, R., Heron, J., Horwood, J., Davis, J. M., Hibbeln, J. R., & ALSPAC Study Team. (2008). The performance of elements of a 'level of response to alcohol'-based model of drinking behaviors in 13-year-olds. Addiction, 103, 1786-1792.
- Joslyn, G., Brush, G., Robertson, M., Smith, T. L., Kalmijn, J., Schuckit, M., & White, R. L. (2008). Chromosome 15q25.1 genetic markers associated with level of response to alcohol in humans. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 105, 20368-20373.