Paul J. Mills, Ph.D.
Professor In Residence
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0804
Phone #: 619-543-2506
FAX #: 619-543-7517
Dr. Mills has been with the Department since 1987 when he began a postdoctoral fellowship in Behavioral Medicine. He is an active clinical investigator with broad research interests, including examining effects of depression on inflammation and clinical outcomes in heart failure, effects of hypertension and stressors on inflammation, adhesion and atherosclerosis risk, and effects of traditional and non-traditional treatments for breast cancer on components of the immune system and fatigue. He is the Director of the Novel Clinical and Translational Technologies Program at the UCSD Clinical & Translational Research Institute, and currently an Associate Editor for the journal Health Psychology. Paul is active in the governance and organizational work of several professional societies, including the Psychoneuroimmunology Research Society, and the American Psychosomatic Society, of which he is currently serving as President. He is an active faculty member in the Behavioral Medicine track of the SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, and the Health Behavior track of the SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health.
- Mills PJ , Kennedy BP, Loredo J, Dimsdale JE, & , Ziegler MG. Effects of Nasal Continuous Positive Airway Pressure and Oxygen on Norepinephrine Kinetics and Cardiovascular Responses in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Journal of Applied Physiology 100(1):343-348, 2006.
- Mills PJ, Hong S, Redwine L, Carter SM, Chiu A, Ziegler MG, Dimsdale JE, Maisel AS. Physical fitness attenuates leukocyte - endothelial adhesion in response to acute exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology 101(3):785-788, 2006.
- Malarkey WB, Mills PJ. Invited Review, Named Series: Twenty Years of Brain Behavior & Immunity Endocrinology: The Active Partner in PNI research. Brain, Behavior & Immunity 21:161-168, 2007.
- Edwards KM, Ziegler MG, Mills PJ. The potential anti-inflammatory benefits of improving physical fitness in hypertension. Journal of Hypertension 25(8):1533-1542, 2007.
- Mills PJ, Shapiro D, Goldstein IB, Ottaviani C, Pung MA, Khandrika S, von Känel R, Rutledge TR. Metabolic Predictors of Inflammation, Adhesion, and Coagulability in Healthy Younger Aged Adults. Obesity 16:2702-2706, 2008.
- Wirtz PH, Hong S, Redwine LS, Tafur J, Rutledge T, Ziegler MG, Greenberg BH, Mills PJ. Depressive symptoms are associated with soluble P-selectin (sP-selectin) reactivity to acute exercise in heart failure. Biological Psychiatry 65:801-807, 2009.
- Mills PJ, Natarajan L, von Känel R, Ancoli-Israel S, Dimsdale JE. Diurnal Variability of C-reactive Protein in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Sleep and Breathing 13:415-420, 2009.
- Mills PJ, Dimsdale JE, Natarajan L, Ziegler MG, Maisel A, Greenberg BH. Sleep and Health-Related Quality of Life in Heart Failure. Congestive Heart Failure 15:228-233, 2009.
- Jain S, Mills PJ. Biofield Therapies: helpful or full of hype? A best-evidence synthesis. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine 17:1-16, 2010.
- Tafur J, Van Wijk EPA, Van Wijk R, Mills PJ. Biophoton Detection and Low-Intensity Light Therapy: A Potential Clinical Partnership. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery 28:23-30, 2010.
- Redwine LS, Wirtz PH, Hong S, Ziegler MG, Greenberg BH, Mills PJ. Norepinephrine secretion and lymphocyte catecholamine-induced chemotaxis following exercise in heart failure patients and controls: associations with depressive symptoms. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, in press.