Sonya B. Norman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor In-Residence
UCSD Department of Psychiatry
Phone #: 619 725 3584
Fax #: 619 497 6686
Dr. Norman received her B.A. from Vassar College and her Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Stanford University. She completed her pre-doctoral internship at the University of San Diego/V.A. San Diego Healthcare Systems. After receiving her Ph.D., Dr. Norman completed a postdoctoral fellowship at UCSD focusing on neurobiology of trauma in women. She then received a Veteran’s Administration associated investigator award to study health and functioning in individuals who have experienced psychological trauma. She is currently the Principal Investigator of an NIAAA-funded career development award.
Dr. Norman’s research primarily involves etiology, assessment, and treatment of co-occurring PTSD and alcohol/substance use disorders as well as in developing and evaluating psychotherapy treatments for guilt and PTSD in recently deployed combat Veterans. She is the Co-Chief the Psychotherapy Unit of the VA Center of Excellence in Stress and Mental Health.
Dr. Norman is the program director for the VA San Diego OEF/OIF PTSD clinic which treats PTSD in recently deployed Veterans who served in the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Norman, S. B., Inaba, R.K., Smith, T.L., Brown, S.A. (2008). Development of the PTSD-alcohol expectancy questionnaire. Addictive Behaviors, 33(6), 841-7.
- Norman, S.B., Stein, M.B., Dimsdale, J.E., Hoyt, D.B. (2008). Pain in the Aftermath of Trauma is a Risk Factor for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Psychological Medicine, 38(4), 533-42.
- Norman, S.B., Tate, S.R, Anderson, K.G., Brown, S.A. (2007). Do Trauma History and PTSD Symptoms Influence Addiction Relapse Context? Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 33(1), 25-32.
- Tate, S. R., Norman, S. B., McQuaid, J. R., & Brown, S. A. (2007). Health problems of substance-dependent veterans with and those without trauma history. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 33(1), 25-32.
- Norman, S.B. Davidson, J.T., & Stein, M.B. (2007). Profiling Posttraumatic Functional Impairment. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 195(1), 48-53.