Terry L. Jernigan, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychiatry
Phone #: (858) 534-4105
FAX #: (858) 534-4114
Dr. Jernigan received a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from UCLA in 1979, completed an internship at the Palo Alto VA Medical Center, and conducted postdoctoral research in Palo Alto before joining the faculty at UCSD in 1984. She directs a brain imaging research program, and is Co-Director of the Laboratory of Cognitive Imaging. She serves on the editorial boards of several journals and as section editor of the Imaging Section for Neurobiology of Aging.
Dr. Jernigan’s research employs magnetic resonance imaging and cognitive activation paradigms in studies of brain maturation and brain aging, CNS effects of HIV-infection, and neural effects of substance abuse. These studies link dynamic changes in tissue biology and patterns of brain activity to development, neurotoxicity, and disease progression, as well as to specific behavioral alterations. Dr. Jernigan is P.I. of several privately or publicly funded projects and her bibliography lists over a hundred research publications.
Dr. Jernigan practices clinical neuropsychology and supervises neuropsychology trainees in the San Diego VA Healthcare System. She has been licensed as a clinical psychologist since 1983.
- Jernigan TL, Trauner DA, Hesselink JR, Tallal PA. Maturation of human cerebrum observed in vivo during adolescence. Brain, 1991, 114, 2037-2049.
- Jernigan TL, Ostergaard AL, Fennema-Notestine C. Mesial temporal, diencephalic, and striatal contributions to deficits in single word reading, word priming, and recognition memory. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 2001, 7, 63-78.
- Jernigan TL, Archibald SL, Fennema-Notestine C, Gamst A, Stout JC, Hesselink J. Effects of normal aging on tissues and regions of the cerebrum and cerebellum. Neurobiology of Aging, 2001, 22, 581-594.
- Jernigan TL, Gamst AC, Fennema-Notestine C, Ostergaard AL. More "mapping" in brain mapping: statistical comparison of effects. Human Brain Mapping, 2003, 19, 90-95.
- Jernigan TL, Gamst AC, Archibald SL,Fennema-Notestine C, Mindt MR, Marcotte TL, Heaton RK, Grant I. Effects of methamphetamine dependence and HIV-infection on cerebral morphology. American Journal of Psychiatry, 2005, 162, 1461-1472.