Skip to main content

Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship Program Application

11/29/23: Our program still has spots available, please reach out to our program (


The applicant must have completed an ACGME-accredited general adult residency in psychiatry and have a valid, completely unrestricted California medical license by the starting date, July 1.

The California Medical Board requires a minimum of 12 months of training in an ACGME-accredited program and a passing score on the USMLE Step III to qualify for medical licensure.

How to Apply

The UC San Diego Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship, and the majority of fellowship programs, will be utilizing the electronic residency application service (ERAS) for recruitment for the fellowship class. Starting in 2022, we will participate in the NRMP Match

Applicants may submit their application to the ERAS service starting in July of the application year.

How to access UC San Diego Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship NRMP Match
1. Go to NRMP Homepage
2. Click on “Fellowship Applicants”
3. Scroll down and click on “Participating Fellowships”
4. Scroll down and select “Medicine and Pediatric Specialties”
5. Scroll down and “Addiction Psychiatry” from the drop-down menu for Addiction Specialties
6. Select our program from those available, using our NRMP Program Code:1049401F0


Visit the ERAS website

Visit the NRMP website

International Medical Graduate Information

Graduates of international medical schools, located outside of the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada, are eligible to pursue accredited postgraduate training programs in this state when they have met the prerequisites established by the Medical Board of California (MBC).

U.S. Clinical experience is preferred within the last 2 years. We look for applicants who have passed all USMLE Steps on first attempts with exceptional scores and are board-certified/eligible. International Medical School graduates are advised to contact the Medical Board of California to request licensure application material. Please contact the Medical Board by mail at the following address or by phone as noted:

Medical Board of California
1426 Howe Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825
(800) 633-2322

Following the Medical Board of California’s review of the applicant’s application material, the applicant will be advised in writing whether he/she has satisfied the requirements of this state and whether he/she is eligible to commence postgraduate training in California. If so, a PTAL will be issued. All applications must include this letter to be considered.

We are able to consider applications from Exceptional Candidates who are US Citizens or resident aliens. Exceptional candidates are defined by the ACGME as international medical graduates, and must have completed a general psychiatry residency. Due to limitations of our funder, we can only pay salary to US Citizens or resident aliens, and therefore we cannot hire non-US Citizens or sponsor H or J visas. If you would like to be considered as an Exceptional Candidate for our program please submit the following documents to

1. Completed application form
2. Personal statement describing your current interests, accomplishments, and professional goals in Addiction Psychiatry
3. Curriculum vitae
4. Letter from Residency Training Director
5. Two additional letters of recommendation


Policies & Notices

Nondisclosure Statement

The University of California, in compliance with Title Ⅵ of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title Ⅸ of the Education Amendments of 1972, § 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, or age in any of its policies, procedures, or practices; nor does the university discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

This nondiscrimination policy covers admission and access to, and treatment and employment in, university programs and activities, including but not limited to, academic admission, financial aid, educational services, and student employment.

Inquiries regarding the University’s equal opportunity policies may be directed to the campus compliance coordinator.