Skip to main content

International Medical School Graduate Application Process

Graduates of international medical schools, located outside of the United States of America and Canada, are eligible to pursue accredited postgraduate training programs in this state when they have met the prerequisites established by the Medical Board of California (MBC).

The Department of Psychiatry at UCSD does not offer observerships.

Clinical experience within the United States is preferred within the last 2 years. We look for applicants who have passed USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3 on first attempts. International Medical School graduates are advised to contact the Medical Board of California to request licensure application material. Contact the Medical Board by mail at the following address or by phone as noted:

Medical Board of California
1426 Howe Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825
(800) 633‒2322

Following the Medical Board of California's review of the applicant's application material, the applicant will be advised in writing whether they have satisfied the requirements of this state and whether they are eligible to commence postgraduate training in California. If so, a Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL), will be issued. All applications from international medical graduates must include this letter (or have a valid California medical license) to be considered for interview.

The Department of Psychiatry will not review application files from international medical graduates until the file includes the Evaluation Status Letter from the Medical Board of California confirming the applicant's eligibility to commence postgraduate training in the state of California.

Applicants to the Child Psychiatry Fellowship Program who are not citizens of the United States may pursue postgraduate medical education while under the sponsorship of the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) holding a J-1 visa. (This does not apply to individuals who hold permanent resident status in this country.) The University does not offer H-1B visas to trainees.

Recent clinical experience (past year or two) is necessary. The year of medical school graduation and the type of clinical experience since will be assessed accordingly.

Thank you for your interest in our program and good luck with your recruitment.